This shows the original concept drawing and a photo of me wearing the garment. Scroll down for some notes.
- The top is very comfortable, but is the wrong length. Tops that go down to the hipline don't suit me ; my 'hips' (the widest part of me) are actually my thighs, and tops finishing there do not do me any favours. I therefore remade the top at a shorter length (see Image A below).
- Despite not liking the length, I decided at try making same top using shirring instead of elastic. I had an old sarong I was going to throw out, and thought I could use the fabric for a toile. I was originally hoping to make it dress length (to the knees), and when I realised there wasn't enough fabric in the sarong, I just kept it the same as the original pattern . My main aim was to test the shirring and didn't really expect it to work out. (What I've read about shirring suggests you need double the amount of fullness...). The shirring ended up just fine, and the top is really comfortable as the fabric is so soft. I have decided to use up my other two old sarongs due for throwing out and make the dress I had been wanting. I will use one sarong for the front,and the other for the back (see Image C). I will use it as a nightie.
Image A: Top 001a Shorter Length
Image B: Shirring instead of elastic
Image C: I will make a nightie from this pattern from 2 old sarongs
Image D: Left-over bias
On another page I talked about making bias strips. If I am going to make self bias binding for a garment, I make as much bias I can while I am at it. I can use the leftover bias for other projects. As you can see in the image below, I've used the leftover from the top in Image A to finish off the top made from a sarong in Image B.
Credit for the Stock Photo I used to create the Vector Croquis on this page:
Andersonrise from 123RF Stock Photos
Copyright of original (photo) image: andersonrise / 123RF Stock Photo