Outcome & Notes (Dress 003)

This shows the original concept drawing, plus the final garment.  If you scroll down further, there are also some notes on how I would make this dress differently if I were to remake it.

dress-003-outcome-and-notes

outcome dress 003

Improvements

The fabric I used for this dress was viscose, and I had never sewn with viscose before this. I found that the dress was far looser than I expected.  The dress the very comfortable and lightweight and great for summer (despite being black).  With this viscose I didn't need the lining that I do with the lightweight cottons I love (they are far too see-through!).

If making it again with viscose I would reduce the ease in the bust and waist, and I would also lower the neckline. Although it is lightweight, cool and comfortable, I feel that it is a bit frumpy.  It would definitely be better with a lower neckline and with a shorter length - just above the knee - but my problem is that at the moment I have swollen knees due to inflammatory arthritis, so I need that longer length.

This dress was based on a shop purchased garment that I liked, however that one was a winter dress made out of a heavier fabric.  I would try this again with a light winter wool but make it shorter to wear with tights and knee length boot.  (With tights my swollen knees are not so obvious).


Credit for the Stock Photo I used to create the Vector Croquis on this page:

Irina Bogolapova from 123RF Stock Photos

Copyright: kiraliffe / 123RF Stock Photo


  1. Comments (0)

  2. Add yours
There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location