As noted in the introductory (preliminary) page, the Extended Line Dress (ELD) block is made using the Bodice Blocks and the Skirt Blocks*. You will need a long piece of cardboard at least the full length of your Bodice and Skirt Blocks.
Torso Block Back - Instructions Figure 1
- Trace your EL Dress Block from the hipline at CF around to the hipline on the side seam.
- Mark the darts on the cardboard; use an awl to push holes through all the dart points and the dart-width points of the waist darts. Mark the dart edges of the shoulder dart.
- Mark the armhole notch.
Torso Block Back - Instructions Figure 2
- Draw a hip line after you remove the Dress Block; make sure the hipline is at right angles to the Centre Back line.
- Draw the darts from the markings made; both waist darts and the shoulder dart.
- Cut out the block.
- Label and notch the block, draw the grainline and mark the CB.
- After you have made both Front & Back, you will need to check the side seam lengths. The neckline and armhole have not changed (and you would have checked your Bodice Block when making it), so there is no need to check those.
- This Torso Block is for garments with sleeves. Note that when making sleeveless garments, garments with cutaway armholes or low necklines, you will need to make adjustments. See the section on Contouring; if you have already marked the Bodice Block with contour markings, you can just transfer them to this block.